The Friends of Berkeley Castle
Supporting a wonderful 12th century castle set in glorious grounds.
By becoming a Friend of Berkeley Castle you can assist in the repair of the building and its unique contents and help to safeguard them for the enjoyment of future generations.
Members of the Friends of Berkeley Castle are assisting Berkeley Castle Charitable Trust, which is dedicated to the ‘preservation, conservation and restoration, for the public benefit, of Berkeley Castle, its contents and its gardens’.
Pre-book Friends events
Download our latest newsletters here:
Friends of Berkeley Castle, founded in 2006, has funded a number of projects, including:
• Purchasing a reproduction chain mail coat and helmet
• Repairing the damaged Venetian lamps in the Great Hall
• Cleaning the portrait of Sir William Berkeley, Governor of Virginia in the 16th century, by court painter Sir Peter Lely
• Providing a new fountain for the Lily Pond, which is both decorative and functional
• Repairing four leather-seated chairs.
In the Dining Room, FoBC is in the process of refurbishing the set of twelve cane-seated chairs. FoBC has also agreed to fund the maintenance of the long case clock made by the famous clockmaker, Thomas Tompion (1639-1713).